November 11, 2008

Foreign Missions...

Do you ever have those days that one topic is mentioned in various places? Yesterday it seemed that foreign missions was brought up quite a few conversations. Then today I received the Proverbs 31 devotional and it talked about building a home. In the devotional written by Marybeth she was talking more about the spiritual home that we as Christians create. It brought me right back to the conversation I had with my dad last night. He had just returned from a foreign mission trip to Mexico. He was telling me about how one family had been praying for over a year to that the roof of their home would be repaired. To this family this group that my dad was involved in was a direct answer to prayer. Now the connection between the devotional and what my dad had told me about his trip was that this family was happy to have their roof fixed. The part that they hadn't factored in was that to do this they would have complete strangers in their home. Dad said this was a very emotional thing for everyone involved because they were fixing parts of the roof right over the bed that these people sleep in at night. Directly above their personal belongings. It makes me think that sometimes God puts us in uncomfortable situations only to know that it will help us grow and become closer to Him. Thank you dad for using your talents in such awesome ways!

Now as I'm typing this the XM station I'm listening to just talked about the most recent compassion international trip to the Dominican Republic, see there is something that God wants me to hear or do. Is a mission trip in my future?

3 comments:

Marybeth Whalen said...

Hey-- very neat to hear how God used this devotion to tie into something He is already weaving together in your life. Thanks for the shout out-- I enjoyed visiting your blog!

Snippets Inc Craft Boutique said...

I think we are on the same page Jill:) My husband and I have been hearing the same message... We are not going on a mission, but we have just sponsored two children from Serria Leone.

Anonymous said...

I think God might be preparing you for something!